"A flash of genius may require some additional thought! As a public educational institution, Virginia Tech encourages disclosure of inventions of all employees so the benefit derived from innovative developments can be used to further Virginia Tech’s educational mission."
A further note from Mark Coburn on invention disclosures from this Virginia Tech Campus Notice:
If an invention appears in print before a patent application is filed, the ability to obtain worldwide rights is lost.
A summary of the suitability of the different timing options follows:
Timing of Disclosure Submission
- Premature – Innovation: what to do
- Best – Conception: how to do it
- Very Good – Reduction to Practice: make it work
- Good – Preparation of a Paper: describe it
- Poor – Submission of a Paper or Abstract
- Poor – Immediately Prior to Public Disclosure
- Very Poor – Post-Publication or Public Disclosure (foreign patent rights lost)